Our activated carbon technology provides the best solution for a
variety of water purification applications.
Many industrial plants and municipal agencies use our activated
carbon products in their water filtration systems.
Activated carbon is an efficient and cost-effective solution for
removing a wide range of contaminants from industrial and municipal
wastewater, contaminated ground and groundwater.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) considers adsorption
by activated carbon to be the best available technology for the
removal of many contaminants in surface water. Activated carbon
aids in the removal of:
- Compounds that cause unwanted taste, odor or color
- Organic materials from decaying plants and other
- Disinfection byproducts (DBPs) linked to chlorine and alternative
- Algal toxins and cyanotoxins, such as microcystin-LR,
cylindrospermopsin and anatoxin-A
- Endocrine-disrupting compounds that can adversely affect hormonal
- Pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCPs) contamination
- Heavy metals
Different types of activated carbon are suited for various
- Granulated activated carbon dechlorinates water, adsorbs organic material and produces a
- Granulated activated carbon impregnated with silver salts inhibits the growth of bacteria
- Catalytic activated carbon removes chloramines from drinking water.
- Pelletized (or extruded) activated carbon effectively dechlorinates and removes chemicals.
- Powdered activated carbon is used to eliminate trace synthetic chemicals and taste and odor
causing chemicals, and for chemical spills or algal blooms.
Process Water Treatment
Process water, used as part of industrial processing, includes both
potable water, such as that added to juice drinks and consumed, and
water such as wash water that is discarded or recycled. Our
activated carbon is available in various forms, sizes, and
impregnations to best meet many different process water needs.
Waste water includes highly-contaminated water from industrial
processing, agricultural chemical use and landfill leachate as well
as residential runoff. Wastewater treatment plants must purify the
water to acceptable limits before releasing it into lakes, rivers
We offer a variety of activated carbon formulations and equipment
that target specific contaminants in many different proportions in
- Dissolved organic materials and micropollutants
- Heavy metals
- Chlorinated hydrocarbons
Drinking Water Treatment
Activated carbon adsorption is regarded as one of the best and most
common treatment methods for removing impurities from drinking
water both at municipal treatment works and in home filter systems.
Granular activated carbon can be used in a filter bed or media
through which water passes or powdered activated carbon can be fed
into the treatment train and removed along with other solids
present from the water treatment.
PFOA and PFOS
Scientific research has shown the effectiveness of granular
activated carbon filtration systems in removing PFOA and PFOS
contaminants from municipal drinking water.
Perfluorooctane sulphonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)
have been accumulating in the environment for years. These
perfluorinated compounds are also known as PFCs. The negative
impact on human health from PFOA and PFOS is becoming a major
concern of municipal drinking water providers.
Extremely resistant to degradation and repelling both water and
oil, perfluorinated chemicals are used in:
surfactant in fire-fighting foam
emulsifier in floor polish
mist suppressant for metal plating baths
surfactant for etching acids for circuit boards
pesticide for insect bait traps
antistatic agent in photographic paper
waterproofcasts and wound dressings
non-stick cooking surfaces
soil and water repellent for carpet, upholstery, apparel
oil and water repellent for plates food containers, cartons
Our carbon is used for numerous other water applications such as
the manufacture of filter cartridges and reverse osmosis systems
and in the production of highly-purified water for dialysis
Our products carry NSF-61 certification and are manufactured to
and are ISO 900